|The beginning of the Manoa Falls Trail in Honolulu, Hawaii.|
The Manoa Falls Trail will take you through dense jungle that is lush with a shady canopy, bamboo forest and huge trees that will make you feel like you are in a jurassic park movie (minus the dinosaurs). The movie Jurassic Park was actually filmed in this area! Just 1.6 miles up you'll see Manoa Falls, a beautiful 150 foot waterfall and pool (no swimming allowed). The trail has a slight incline and can be muddy, so dress accordingly and apply inspect repellent before you start out. Don't wear flip flops or sandals!
The entire hike is pretty easy and can be done in under an hour, so it's a really fantastic and easy way to experience a truly Hawaiian jungle hike even when you're on a beach vacation.
Path on the jungle hike. Photo by Daniel Ramirez.
|Bamboo Forest on Manoa Falls Trail. Photo by Daniel Ramirez.|
- Follow Kapahulu St out of Waikiki up to the H-1 Freeway
- Take H-1 West towards the Airport
- Take the Punahoe Exit
- Follow Punahoe Road up towards the mountains
- Punahoe Road turns into Manoa Road
- Follow Manoa Road all the way up to the top.
If you don't have a car, it's easy to get here by bus. Just take the #5 bus which stops on the residential streets just before the entrance.
- On my visit I had some not-so-great hotel experiences -- I had been avoiding the pricey beach-front options which did not turn out in my favor. I called Expedia who moved me to the Waikiki Beach Marriott for a fantastic deal. The open-air lobby was filled with fresh purple orchids! It's located across the street from Waikiki Beach, has a pool and five restaurants. $229/night + 20% off when booked on Expedia with a flight.
- Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort is a beachfront 22-acre resort property. Complete with a spa, 20 dining venues and a swimming pool with water slides. $151/night + $30/day resort fee.
- Hilton Waikiki Beach is just steps to the beach, newly renovated, has a swimming pool and the rooms offer both ocean and mountain views. $206/night.